Monday, September 26, 2011

It's a really nice place to start..

I have promised several people a book and that is obviously NOT happening.  So... a blog it is.

This has been an interesting year.  That sums it up nicely yet that alone would be a waste of a blogging account and the cool URL.  In many ways, this year started three years ago.  It was about '08 that I decided to get serious about getting in shape.  I was running full court basketball at the 24 Hr. and lifting weights when my mood was right (when the youngsters wouldn't let me play).  Looking back, I may have been in the best shape of my adult life.  My diet was, on the whole, pretty good.  I had my weaknesses but was doing fairly well at keeping everything in line with the "in moderation" rule.  One day at the gym, one of my twins (Nick or Elliott) asked "What is your max on the benchpress?"  I honestly didn't know as I had not performed a single rep max since I started lifting.  "Well, There's no time like the present...".

With their help spotting, I did 3 single rep lifts of progressively higher weight before tiring.  "I think you can do 300" one of them said.  I said something about that being a ridiculous amount of weight for me and that it was simply not possible.  Several minutes later, a deal was struck.  At the end of the summer, before they returned to class, I would attempt a single rep at 300 pounds.  For the remainder of the summer, I became much more consistent in my workouts.  I spoke about workouts with guys at the gym who knew what they were doing and dozens who didn't.  I began supplementing with pre, during and post-workout mixes, pills and drinks.  The sales guy at Vitamin Shoppe (who now sends me Christmas cards) and I became friends.  Not surprisingly, I also began to gain weight.  A lot of it.

As the time drew near, I thought about what would happen if I couldn't do it.  It would be OK if I failed...as long as I *barely* failed.  I didn't want to let the boys down so it was going to be my best effort, 110% percent and every other cliche I could think of.  When the day arrived, I don't remember driving to the gym but I do remember wearing a sheepish grin as I did the "dead man walking" shuffle to the bench.  We put on the plates, I added the weights 2 times to make sure it was right (either way, I was doing this ONCE).  I remember not really having a plan.  I mean it's just lifting weights, what is there to plan for.  We counted up to 3, I un-racked the bar and immediately realized I needed a plan.  Now. I had lifted close to this weight once before but the few additional pounds took it to a whole new level.  I dropped the bar to my chest and neither of my sons touched it.  I remember wondering if they were even concerned for my safety.  I pressed it out, racked the weight and lay there a moment to make sure it was real.

I tried to remember another time in my life when I had set a goal that far in the future and worked every day towards it.  Couldn't remember one.  It was a life changing moment and I never want to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment